Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Personal Project

Happy New Year! I'm sure everyone kept busy over the holidays and I hope 2012 is starting off great for you all! Today I just wanted to share a recent project I did, which would not have been possible without Jenn Johnston. 

Now, as some of you might remember, I do not have my own photography business, nor do I plan on opening my own. I absolutely love photography and am enjoying learning so much, though, that I do have hopes to work with a photographer someday. That being said, this particular project was a little different for me, but I ended up learning quite a bit and had fun doing so.

Since money was a little tight this holiday season, we couldn't do our normal donations to local charities, but we still wanted to do something. I decided to contact our local women & children's home to see if I could donate my time to take photos of the children/families, if they so wished. They replied back very excited and asked if I could also take some for families at their apartments, too. I was thrilled, but extremely nervous. I've never photographed a complete stranger (aside from the models at the workshop, but that's a bit different). 

My husband's work actually donated the money to help with prints, so that was wonderful. Also, I soon realized that the time they choose would be just before dusk, and I didn't have an external flash. THANK GOODNESS FOR JENN! She was a complete life saver and offered to loan me her flash. She also told me to consider the shipping as a donation! What a heart of gold! Thank you, Jenn!!

Thanks to everyone who helped out, several families/individuals received prints just in time for Christmas. Here are just a few: 


(The above picture is the very first picture this mom has ever had with her son. 
I know the photo isn't perfect, but I know she will be happy having it)


Somewhat on a related note, I saw a few people post this link on facebook, A letter on my door step, and I thought I would share. If you haven't already read it, I highly suggest you do, especially if you already have, or are planning to have a photography business.








7 comments:

  1. BreAnna, this is awesome! You came up with such a thoughtful donation for the families & took beautiful pictures! Way to go! (Jenn that was so nice that you were able to help out.)

    - Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. BreAnna, these are beautiful and I am sure the families are thrilled! What a wonderful way to share your skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an inspiration and your photographs were filled with love and compassion. Thank you for sharing the true meaning of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kinds words :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sentiment and equally beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete